Thursday, May 22, 2008

Eating my spinach

Folks, I don't ask much of my morning TV. Really. Just tell me what's going on in my country and the world. So what in blue blazes has happened to the Today show? (Heck, I'm on an e-focus group organized by NBC news for the love of pete.)

I do not give a flying flip what Giada deLaurentis thinks I should put prosciutto on today. That's what I have the Food Network for. Nor do I want advice from Anne Currie as to how to manage my pocketbook, raise my child or, as she's advising this morning, ask my husband for a divorce. Are you kidding me? Just tell me what the h3ll is happening in the world. My marriage is wonderful thankyouverymuch. Mind your own business.

I cannot believe I saw Matt Lauer this week in clown makeup to try his hand as a rodeo clown. And who cares if Meredith Vieira can drive a big rig, Ann Currie rappel down a national monument, or Al Roker wear a fire suit? I have Mike Rowe for those Dirty Jobs, if I'm so inclined.

So I tivo'd The Jim Lehrer News Hour yesterday. Yeah, it's a little like eating your spinach-- good for you but not wildly entertaining. But here's the thing. In the 5 minute news summary before they did any in depth discussion I learned something about what's happening outside of Studio 1-A. Did you know there's some nasty business in South Africa this week? I didn't either. And the Today show wasn't about to tell me. They're more interested in replaying cute shots of Matt in a barrel.

Shoot. It's either Jim Lehrer or eat my breakfast in front of the radio before the Diane Rehm Show starts on NPR.

Oy.

2 comments:

M Easter said...

I love the Newshour! I tape it regularly, and often nap to it when I get home...

The sing-song "Good evening" by Jim is a true treat. I think of him as an avuncular figure, with the eggheads of the nation at his feet, ready to hear the stories of the day.

I esp. love the analysis on Fridays with David Brooks and Mark Shields. And the supporting cast: Margaret Warner, Ray Suarez, Jeff Brown, Judy Woodruff, and all the gang.

I would say the newshour isn't spinach but rather mashed potatoes with gravy... Mmm mm

I agree with you that there isn't much "news" on the networks (including the evening news). PBS and NPR rock, and remind me of my beloved CBC.

Ella's Mom said...

Oh, I am totally with you on this one! I can't watch those morning shows at all. Useless.

Hello there