Monday, May 5, 2008

I'm a happy girl!

Okay, like I said I was gonna, I gave out the Swarthmore book award to a high school student at an assembly at Metro Academic and Classical high school in the City today. Did you know about this school? I had no idea! It's the #1 rated school in Missouri. It it incredibly impressive both academically and in terms of the kids-- they're polite, well-spoken and overall quite accomplished. I was floored. Not only did I research them before I went, but I went early and took a little time to wander around the school, read their press clippings, etc. before the assembly. Wow.

Anyway, it felt great speaking to a large group again-- it's been FOREVER since I've seen a venire panel or anything like it. AND, even better, I TOTALLY outshone the guy from Yale, that slacker! hahahahhah!

But here's the part that I wasn't going to mention and my husband insisted, gawd love him. Well, you all know that I've been feeling like poop on a stick for weeks and weeks now, right? Well, when I got up on the stage in my little lawyer suit, wig, makeup and pearls, I got....are you ready?....a wolf whistle! The woman who introduced me just gave me a big grin and a "look at you go" look.

BEST THING TO HAPPEN SINCE I GOT DIAGNOSED! I swear to gawd if I knew which high school boy did that, I'd have taken him out in the parking lot and deflowered him on the spot, I was so grateful!

Ah. I swear I'm going to live on that until my hair grows back...

1 comment:

M Easter said...

re: outshone the guy from Yale. I bet you did indeed! I have _no_ doubt, and with the chemo to boot...

re: wolf whistle. ha ha! whoo!

re: award. I can't imagine a more fitting tribute for a student than to receive an award from you, m'dear.

Hello there